Sunday, February 2, 2014

Wall-To-Wall Football

You’d think the game of football was more important than what happens in politics; more important than wars, and the poor guys who go overseas to fight this country’s wars and get killed and maimed in the process, the president spending more of our money than there IS, while whining about being given permission to spend even more and working HARD to disarm us in the face of in increasing amount of gun violence. I keep the television on at my elbow as I work, all day, not really watching, but keeping track of that’s the most important thing in the news at any given time. And recently, it’s been ALL FOOTBALL. As if that were the most important thing in the world. Even on Fox. So at the risk of being shot, I’ll say this: What’s so all-fired important about football? It’s just a game, fergawd’sake! I like auto racing, but THAT’S not really “all-important” to me. It’s just a race! People go completely INSANE over football. They paint themselves in their favorite team’s colors and pay exorbitant amounts for tickets to the games. They spend thousands of dollars, traveling across the country to see—football. For me, football bores me. I’ve watched ONE football game: the Superbowl the year the Broncos won it all. But to me, it’s nothing to get excited about: it’s just a game. It’s just entertainment. Yes, I know, it produces millions of dollars in peripheral income. But so does auto racing, basketball, hockey, and many other things. So why do people go INSANE over it? Maybe it’s me. I don’t tend to get overly excited about anything. But that’s because I’ve never seen anything to GET overly excited about in my long life. Now you can start firing on me. (Just common sense)

No comments: