Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Suicide More Probable if You Have A Gun?"

That's what the "anti-gun freaks" are trying to convince you of now. As usual, they're "blaming the gun," not the person. The illogic of this is so obvious I shouldn't even have to mention it. But they don't realize it and think you don't, either. "Anyone who acquires a firearm, we are told, is inviting a bloody death by suicide. So says Matthew Miller, a professor at the Harvard School of Public Health. “If you bought a gun today, I could tell you the risk of suicide to you and your family members is going to be two- to tenfold higher over the next 20 years,” he told The Washington Post." If you have any amount of intelligence, you know that if someone wants to commit suicide and DOESN'T own a gun, he/she will. He/she will find a way. But this "anti-gun frwak" doesn't think so. He thinks just the presence of a gun in your house makes you WANT to commit suicide. This crap falls into the category of "you're more likely to shoot YOURSELF than a criminal if you have a gun." It completely disallows competence in handling a gun on the part of the innocent citizen, while imputing that competence into a criminal. I've owned guns, and have never even CONSIDERED suicide. (Atlasphere)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is a little late, but I thought I'd chime in. I am a staunch supporter of gun rights. I also happen to suffer from major clinical depression. Although I would love to have guns in my home, I choose not to because of the ease of making an impulse decision. I am grateful that we still have the right to choose whether or not we will own a gun. For now, I choose not to. However I will defend to my last breath every other American's right to keep and bear arms. Should the time come when weapons must be used, I hope my fellow patriots will bless me use of one of theirs.

Ray Thomas said...

Anon: You're right. You DO have the right to OWN a gun in some places in this country. In other places (such as Washington, DC until recently) you don't. But except for 38 states, you don't have the right to CARRY one for self defense and one of the phony arguments of the "anti-gun nuts" is that you're more apt to commit suicide if you have one. If it ever comes time to use one, you'd better hope you have one you can use nearby, no matter who owns it. Thanks for your comment.